- He was a man between nations; a man of honor, truth, and fortitude. His downfalls he turned to triumphs and never gave up on searching to build new lands and to bring freedom to his people.
- He stood in honor and against forces for the Cherokee, African-Americans, Union, and women of his day when few did.
- He was the President of a Nation and the General of an army.
- He was the Governor of two states and a US Senator.
- He was a citizen of four nations.
- He was an agent of change wherever he trod and often stood alone amidst a crowd against him. He stood anyway. Truths of his legacy and life are still being unearthed.
This is where we come together for a part of him speaks to us today: a man of all time, courageous but real. We see ourselves in him and explore here the lives and nations he forever changed.
"A leader is someone who helps improve the lives of other people or improve the system they live under."
"I am aware that in presenting myself as the advocate of the Indians and their rights, I shall stand very much alone."
Sam Houston Heritage Trail
Is a collaboration between several museums, historical societies, heritage tourism groups, and friends, like you!
Together we seek to unveil the past and through inspiration become the change agents of the future...
We reintroduce the past to the present in their own words...
And uncover the rich life that once thrived on pathways now grown over....where now only spirits seem to trod...what have we forgotten...and what dreams will we share with our future?